Thursday, April 28, 2011

Peanut Farm - Drives me nuts

The Peanut Farm is immensely popular among Anchorage sports fans.  With at least 2 screens within view from every seat in the restaurant, it is not hard to figure out why.  In fact, in the newest part of this large sports bar, each of the tables has it's own small television.

Saturday and Sunday mornings, during football season, you can find clusters of fans throughout the place.  The fans of each college/university or pro team will stake out real estate and claim the screen for their game.  You can get there pretty early since the Peanut Farm opens at 6a for breakfast.  I have personally had the biscuits and gravy as well as the Huevos Farmcheros and enjoyed watching the Sunday morning game.  Did it feel a little weird having a beer at ten in the morning...with my breakfast?    sure, but that is all part of the charm of the Farm.

Things can get pretty hectic during lunch and dinner with staff running around.  During my most recent visit, my friend and I sat for over 20 minutes before we finally anyone's attention.  Once we did get our order we were happy, but it was a bit frustrating during the wait.

I enjoy a good order of hot wings and the Peanut Farm has a wide variety of wings to choose from.  The 4 alarm chicken wings seem to be just the right combination of heat and flavor for me, but to each his own.  There are 12 different flavors available for your wings, and you can even get the Farm's Pork Wild Wings.  The pork wings are actually tender pork shanks flavored to order.  I have had them, and they are not bad.

During my last visit, my buddy and I shared the Pastrami Dip and the Hot Farm Sub.  The Pastrami Dip is a french dip sandwich with pastrami instead of roast beef.  I love pastrami, and the sandwich was okay, but I think I prefer a good roast beef instead.  The Hot Farm Sub has ham, roast beef, tomato, American cheese, and with 1000 Island dressing on the side.  The sub was also, okay, but both sandwiches just had too much bread.  In fact, my friend made his sandwiches open face by removing the top bun.  My philosophy on sandwiches is:  more fillings/meat...less bread.

The highlight of any meal at the Peanut Farm, besides the televisions everywhere, are the 25oz "Pounder" beers you can get.  They always have one of my favorites on tap, and I usually go to there when I have a good thirst going on.  One or two pounders will help wash away your bar food tears.

If you are looking for great pub food, this is not really the place to go.  There are at least a couple of other places in Anchorage that will blow your socks off when it comes to pub food.  Having said that, if you are looking for decent okay to good bar food, the Peanut Farm will suffice.  After all, you can always ignore the food (and sometimes bad service) and glue yourself to whatever sporting event is on the nearest television.


Peanut Farm:

Address - 5227 Old Seward Hwy, Anchorage, AK

Phone - 907-563-3283

Website - www.wemustbenuts.com

Reservations:  none needed.  There is plenty of seating, but the Peanut Farm is very popular, especially when the Aces are playing...parking can get tight.

Overall Recommendation:  Service and food can be kind of hit or miss.  I have had great service with so, so food.  I have had bad service with good food.  I think the Peanut Farm is mostly about the ok service, ok food, but plenty of televisions with sports on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment