Thursday, April 7, 2011

Freebirds World Burrito - It's a Monster

I first ate at Freebirds World Burrito about 15 years ago. Over the years the picture of this magnificent beast of a burrito has grown, like a legend, in my mind. The only thing is that this time my mind was not playing tricks on me.

The burritos come in 4 sizes: Hybird, Freebird, Monster, and Super Monster. There are 3 proteins to choose from: Slow Roasted Carnitas, Fire Grilled Steak, Fire Grilled Chicken (your choice of white or dark meat).....or you can have a fresh veggie filling.

When I am faced with a decision about which size to get, and two of the names have Monster in them, I feel obligated, on a purely masculine level, to get at least the smaller of the two monsters. I went with the Monster simply because I might not have been strong enough to even hold up the Super Monster. To be healthy (ha!) I went with the spinach tortilla and chicken (dark meat please).

The flavor of the fire grilled chicken really stands out amongst the traditional rice, cheeses, sour cream, etc. In many chain burrito stores (Qdoba, Chipotle to name a couple) you get decent flavors from fresh fixings, but there is something about the grill on the Freebirds burrito that is special. It is like that lady in the red dress, when the rest are wearing black.

In an earlier post I mentioned that I have a real weakness for good food that is served in a warm tortilla. Freebirds is the best I have had. If you have the opportunity, don't pass it up. I would eat at one every day if there were one in Anchorage, although I would have to go with a smaller option I don't want to lose my figure :)


Freebirds World Burrito:

Address -
43 locations in Texas
1 in Oklahoma
2 in California

Website - www.freebirds.com (you can order online)

Reservations - none needed

Overall Recommendation: bring your appetite and thirst for well seasoned fixings!

No comments:

Post a Comment