Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Joe's Crab Schack - A Good Case of Crabs

My advice? Definitely wear the bib!

Joe's Crab Schack is chain restaurant that got it's start in Houston, Texas in 1981. Lucky for me that is where I got my first taste of this seafood extravaganza. The restaurant features friendly servers who tie your bib on for you and sing birthday songs for guests celebrating. It is entertaining watching them all dance to "Cotton Eyed Joe", although I am sure they are less than thrilled with the routine by the end of the night.

Joe's features, what I would call, gulf style seafood. The featured meals are crab, shrimp, crawfish, clams, etc. are place in a steampot and steam cooked. There are several different seasonings that are used in multiple preparations and choices. Each one sounds equally delicious and I was pleased with my meal.

My friend and I started with pound of crawfish and the classic sampler. The crawfish were delicious and spicy. I admit to being very bad at getting the meat of the crawfish out to eat it, but what I could get out...dynamite! The classic sampler did not disappoint either. Calamari, crab dip, and most of all "Great Balls of Fire". All were good, but the great balls of fire really stood out. Fried balls of jalepeno, shrimp, and crab, all blended with cheese. It is the perfect combination of flavors taking your taste buds on a roller coaster ride of deliciousness. DO IT!

Whenever I am eating at a place for the first time, I always try the house special. In Joe's case, it is Joe's Classic Steampot. Dungeness crab, Snow crab, boiled shrimp, smoked sausage, corn and potatoes all brought to the table in a steampot and smelling scrumptious. The crab meat was delicious, but like most crab meals, it is a lot of work for that great flavor. The sausage, corn and potatoes definitely help fill your belly in this festive meal. My friend had the Samuel Adams Steampot and was very satisfied as well.

If you are watching your sodium cholesterol intake, beware! Otherwise, enjoy!

Joe's Crab Shack:

Address - check website for a location near you


Phone - 877 599-9330

Reservations - no reservations needed

Overall Recommendation: gulf style seafood in a fun atmosphere, everyone should go once for the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment