Thursday, April 14, 2011

Grilled Steak - Nothing Better, but do it Right!


I was talking with a friend of mine the other day about steak, and how we both love it. He was telling me about a third friend and how he was indifferent. I was shocked. I can't conceive of how a person can be dispassionate about steak. After thinking about it, I concluded that he must not have ever had a properly grilled steak. I just picked up a couple for dinner and thought that this would be the perfect time for a primer on grilling a great steak.

First rule, make sure it is a good cut of meet. I prefer rib eye steaks, but enjoy t-bones, new york, porterhouse, and even a properly prepared tri-tip. There should be good marbling, that is, there needs to be some fat in the cut and trimming the meat. As a general rule, I usually get a 1/2 inch to full inch thick cut. I find that the thicker the cut, the more attention you need to pay to the meat while grilling, but the juicier it will be when served.

Side note: If you are serious about your steak, you will ask your butcher to cut your steak specifically to your specifications. It will not cost you more, and you will know precisely what you are getting. In Anchorage, I have found that Mr. Prime Beef is amazing. The butchers at Fred Meyer are also very good.

Once you have your steak there are 5 steps to success:
  • Prep the grill
  • Sear the meat
  • Season the meat
  • Grill the meat
  • Rest the meat

Prepping for grilling. Get your grill hot (gas or charcoal), you need to get it as hot as possible. This will make it easier to clean your surface and sear your steaks. My father is a purist and will probably send out a posse to round me up for admitting this, but I cook on a gas grill. Folks like my dad say that you lose the flavor of the coals, to which I say, "Charcoal tastes gross!", so gas it is for me. Gas allows for greater precision when cooking, and it is faster to get going, and there is less to clean up. Anyway, on to the grilling.

Scrape off the char from the last grilling session. Nobody wants 2 week old char on their fresh steak!

Once cleaned throw your unseasoned steak on the grill to sear it. Searing the steak will seal in all of the juices and flavor of the meat. Sear it at maximum heat for about 45 seconds to 1 minute on each side is perfect. Get those steaks off the grill and turn the heat down to medium-low (around 325 degrees). Keep in mind that the outside temperature affects your grills temperature. Grilling in Alaska in the winter requires some special attention compared to grilling in the summer. Every grill is different...take the time to get to know your grill. Time to season your steak while the grill cools a bit.

Seasoning the meat is important. For some this means a little salt and pepper, for others it means leave the meat as god intended...no seasoning. I personally love Montreal Steak Seasoning. It has the right amount of salt, pepper, garlic, and other spices. The seasoning should accent the flavor of your steak, not replace it. Don't overdo it. With practice you will get it just right.

Grill the meet to perfection. This is a little tricky depending on how you like your steak done and how thick the cut of steak. Use a timer! Don't guess at how long you have been grilling your steaks. A difference of a minute can mean a lot when grilling.

I prefer my steaks to be medium to medium rare. For a 1/2 inch steak this means 3-4 minutes per side. For a 1 inch steak it might be as high as 6-7 minutes per side. If the heat is a little on the high side, get the meat further away from the fire. Conversely, if the fire is a little colder, get those steaks closer to the fire. If you like your steak rare, cook it for a shorter time (for some of my friends that means you can still hear the echos of the mooing off in the distance). If you like your steaks done or well done, then cook them longer...just don't burn it, there is no pleasure to be had in a black chunk of steak. Avoid the temptation of cutting into the meet to see if it is done. This will be explained in the next step.

Get your steak off the grill when the time is right, but do not cut into the meat yet! Let your meat rest for a few minutes first (as a general rule, you want to rest all meat before serving including poultry, pork, beef, etc). By letting the steak rest it will allow the temperature of the meat to equalize throughout and keep the juices saturated in the steak. For my steaks I usually let them rest about 5 minutes. My dad used to cover the meat with foil while it was resting to keep if from getting cold.

Once your steak has rested, serve and eat. I like to serve my steaks with a mushroom jus, but to each his/her own. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment