Friday, June 15, 2012

Granny B's Cafe - Hole in the wall that fills hole in stomach

I drove past this hole in the wall, old time strip mall, full parking lot, and made a mental note..."Gotta give Granny B's a try".  Today I did, and I am really glad I finally did.  Granny B's is a little gem on the south edge of Spenard, on Tudor.

Granny B's offers up a small menu with breakfast and lunch.  They serve it up fresh, fast, and friendly...with generous portions.  I am a breakfast lover, and I was famished, so I ordered up Nat's Omelet: grilled turkey, crispy bacon, and swiss cheese.  For an extra $1 I traded up my toast for a biscuit, and then ordered a side of gravy.

The omelet was above average, but filled with a hearty blend of turkey, bacon, and swiss, and then topped with more swiss and more bacon.  With the side of crispy hash browns (just the way I like them) it would have been more than enough.  But wait!  Don't forget that biscuit and gravy!

In my opinion there is only one place in Anchorage with a better biscuit and gravy (my beloved Spenard Roadhouse).  These are fresh and piping hot, and the gravy has a nice sausage/gravy ratio.

Granny's is not going to blow you away with fancy culinary offerings like the Spenard Roadhouse, but it is perfect for what it has to offer.  This is a cozy little place with great historical photos and blue collar dishes.  I doubt you will be disappointed, and hey, any place that actually has a condiment table with a variety of hot sauces from which to choose is pretty great in my book.

Granny B's Cafe:

Address - 1201 W Tudor Road, Suite 2, Anchorage, AK 99503

Phone - 907.563.0476

Overall Recommendation:  This cozy little place is worth a try.  Cash Only!  They don't accept credit or debit cards!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Cliff, my name is Sarah and my family and I are going to be visiting Alaska this month (14th-21st). I was drawn to your blog because my father is a USS swim coach for Terrapins in California. He absolutely LOVES great food (as do we all...). We have never been to Alaska--any suggestions for must-eats while we are in Anchorage?

    ReplyDelete