Thursday, June 7, 2012

El Tango - Hearty Latin American Fare

Several years ago I had some friends, who had lived in South America, take me to the El Tango Restaurant, and I thought it was high time I took my wife so she could experience some authentic Latin American fare.  Like I really need an excuse to have good food!

It is important to remember that Latin American does not necessarily mean Mexican.  In fact, if you go to El Tango expecting to get a taco, you will be disappointed.  El Tango serves up authentic Argentinian, Columbian, and Puerto Rican dishes, and they are generous...and delicious.

We started off with Argentinean empanadas and calamari.  The calamari was good, but the empanadas may have been the stars of the meal.  These handmade flour shells were filled with tasty ground beef, eggs, and olives.  My wife and I loved them.  These little pastries definitely got the old juices flowing for dinner, but I was half tempted to just keep ordering more of these little delights.  Given the size of my entree', I am glad I controlled myself.

For my entree' I chose the Victoria's Grill.  This Argentinian dish features short rib, skirt steak, chicken breast, Argentinean Sausage, Morcilla, Veal Kidneys, and Sweetbreads.  The entire meal comes served in a large grill pan (with candles underneath) sizzling with the variety of meats, sausages, and organs.  I think the short rib, skirt steak and chicken was all fine, but I was especially pleased with the other, more exotic offerings.  The Argentinean Sausage was savory and had plenty of snap.  The kidney was firm and seasoned just right.  The sweetbreads (thymus) were tender and savory, with an almost creamy texture.  The Morcilla (blood sausage) was my favorite.  I have not had a blood sausage before, and I am not sure what I expected, but it was great!  It was meatier than I would expect from a "blood" sausage, and seasoned so as to be mildly savory....excellent texture.

The Victoria's Grill is easily enough to serve two people (maybe 3 or 4).  Come with an apetite.  I am looking forward to going back and trying some Columbian or Puerto Rican dishes.

El Tango:

Address - 4300 Old Seward Hwy

Phone - 907.770.2888

Website - www.eltangoak.com

Overall Recommendation:  I like El Tango for the variety it offers when considering date night options.  The portions are very generous and the meals tasty.  I have been told by friends who have lived in South America, that El Tango's food is very authentic.  Give it a try....and be prepared to bring home a doggy bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment