Sunday, August 18, 2013

Humdinger's Gourmet Pizza Co. - Wood Fired and Gluten Free Friendly

I don't always feel like eating pizza with several hundred of my fellow Alaskans.  So, while there are some great pizza options in Anchorage, I don't often get to enjoy them.  Fortunately, we have a new choice for a humdinger of a pizza.


Humdinger's Gourmet Pizza Co. features a creative line-up of delicious appetizers, salads, desserts, and wood fired pizzas.  Additionally, they have plenty of gluten free options, including a very good gluten free pizza crust.  My wife brought home a piece of their Tour de Wisconsin; a garlic butter based pizza, featuring parmesan, mozzarella, colby jack, feta, and cream cheese.  I had my slice after it had been sitting in the box, in the refrigerator,  and then microwaved...and it was delicious.  I made a mental note that I had to go the next time I was in Palmer to visit the in-laws.  

My wife, my in-laws, and I started with two appetizers.  The Buffalo Tenders were tasty, but typical, so I won't waste too much time describing it, other than to say that the breaded tenders were tender and well seasoned.  On the other hand, the Queso and Flat Bread appetizer was a stand out!  Humdinger's own gourmet flat bread is very tasty on it's own, but when served with the cream cheese dip, it is over the top.  We all loved the thick, creamy, and dip.  You can get the flat bread gluten free, so this is a great dish for nearly everyone.
I love wood fired pizza and the crispier crusts that result from them.  Our group was excited to give the pizzas from the birch-fired oven a taste.  We tried the Shovin' Off to Buffalo with a wheat crust, and the T-Rex with a gluten free crust.

The Shovin' Off to Buffalo is built on a garlic butter sauce, and has mozzarella, breaded chicken breast and blue cheese crumbles.  All of these ingredients were great, but what brought the pizza together, in my opinion, were the french fried onion crumbles...what a combination!

I have been making an effort to make gluten free choices, so I know how hard it is to find gluten free products that taste good.  I was a little dubious that a gluten free crust was going to taste good, and I had kind of resigned myself to a crust that would tasted a little better than cardboard.  I was way of base, and very pleased with the crust that the T-Rex came on.  The T-Rex is Humdinger's offering to the real carnivores among us.  Built atop marinara and mozzarella, this pizza comes loaded with pepperoni, sausage, hame, bacon, and hamburger.  It was very good and tasted great on the gluten free crust.

Humdinger's Gourmet Pizza:

Address - 173 S. Valley Way, Palmer, AK 99645

Phone - (907) 745-7499

Website - www.humdingerspizza.com

Overall Recommendation:  Wood fired flavor, creative combinations, and gluten free options make Humdinger's some of the greatest pizza in Alaska.  Give it a toss!

2 comments: