Thursday, August 29, 2013

Alaska Greek Festival - Opa!!!

For the last few years I have been curious to go to this huge event just up the street from my neighborhood.  I first took notice when I was inconvenienced by all the traffic.  This year I actually made a note in my iPhone calendar to remind me to go.

The Alaska Greek Festival is kind of like St. Patty's day.  Everyone is Irish on St Patty's day, and everyone at the Alaska Greek Festival is Greek...in spirit anyway.  There is wonderful shopping, raffles, activities, music, silent auctions, and yes...even a beer/wine garden.  There is no gate or entry fee, but the food and drink does cost.  All of the proceeds go to the church.  This is a wonderful place to bring the family, and get a bit of the Greek culture and, most importantly, some Greek flavor.

My wife, my friend, and I walked to this year's festival.  This turned out to be good for two reasons.  First, we did not have to hassle with parking.  This is a huge event, and parking is a bit of an issue...although not a major one.  Second, we didn't have to feel as guilty about indulging in the great food.

First, we all tried the Loukoumades.  These are divine!  From the [From the website "In ancient Greece, these heavenly, hot honey puffs, sprinkled with cinnamon and nuts, were awarded to top athletes at religious festivals."]  I would have worked my fanny off if these were the prizes.  Good thing I can just go to the festival and buy them.

After a couple of beers, my wife and I shared the Lamb Dinner [Roast Leg of lamb, yiouvetsi (Greek pasta in sauce), tiropita, dolma, fasolakia (green beans), Greek salad & bread] and the Moussaka Dinner [Layers of eggplant and potatoes, flavorful meat sauce and cheese, topped with bechamel sauce, served with tiropita, Greek salad and bread].

The Lamb Dinner must have come fresh off the spit (yes, they have the legs on a spit out back).  It was succulent and juicy!  The tiropita was flaky, rich, and delicious.  The dolma had the perfect citrus and olive oil balance.  All in all, the Lamb Dinnner was terrific.

The Moussaka Dinner came with same delicious tiropita.  The Moussaka itself was better than I have had in most restaurants (except Little Italy in Anchorage, read my April 2011 post).  I love eggplant, and the layers of richness in this dish are wonderful.  The meat, cheese, and beschamel all play very well together...without overwhelming the palate.

On the way out of the festival, we stopped and picked up Baklava Sundae.  If flakey file, nuts, spices, and fruity honey syrup just aren't enough to satisfy your sweet tooth, try it on rich and creamy vanilla ice cream.  This may have been a bit over indulgent, but you know how the saying goes..."When in Greece!"  

I can't wait to go back next year and give a few more dishes a spin!  Opa!

Annual Alaska Greek Festival:

Address - Holy Transfiguration Greek Orthodox Church, 2800 O'Malley Road, Anchorage


Website -  akgreekfestival.com
Overall Recommendation:  Get ready to party Greek style.  This is a family event, so take the kids.  It only happens three days each August, so keep checking the website to find out when next year's event will be.  Don't miss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment