Saturday, May 14, 2011

Romano's Italian & Seafood Restaurant

The first time I went to Romano's, I was with a group of swimmers, traveling from Fairbanks.  We enjoyed the escargot that night, and since then I have always had a special place in my heart for the place.

Most recently I took my wife for a Friday "date night".  We had a very friendly waiter who made us both smile and put us in a great mood.  Despite the fact that we heard a lot of noise from a birthday group in the same room, we were able to have a nice dinner for two.

I started with the minestrone which was very hearty and quite good.  We then enjoyed the stuffed mushrooms.  The fresh mushrooms were stuffed with a seafood dressing and then covered with light seafood cream sauce.  I would have preferred them to be cooked a little longer to blend the flavor of the stuffing and the mushrooms a bit, but they were still tasty.

My wife had the chicken fettuccini and she said it was one of the best in town.  I had one of the specials for the day, the Seafood Lasagna.  With shrimp, crab, and scallops that had first been sauteed with onions and red peppers, this version of Lasagna is outstanding.  The flavor and texture of the seafood shines through and blends perfectly with pasta, cheese, and sauce.  If I was not so full from my serving, I would love to have had a second serving.

While there are quieter, more intimate Italian restaurants in Anchorage, there are not any that show any more talent in blending seafood into their dishes.  The prices are primarily in the $15-$20 range and well worth the cost.  Give it a try.

Romano's Italian & Seafood Restaurant:

Address - 2415 C Street, Anchorage, AK 99503

Phone - 907-276-0888

Website - www.romanosak.net

Reservations - Reservations are not accepted.  First come, first serve.  There are a lot of tables, so I can't imagine having to wait, but there is a bar if you need to wait for a table to open up.

Overall Recommendation:  This is a good restaurant with friendly waitstaff.  This is not a quiet, intimate restaurant.  There can be quite a bit of noise with voices carrying, but if you go on a slow night and are seated away from others, it can be a nice romantic dinner.  Having said that, the food is good and worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment