Saturday, May 28, 2011

Capital Cafe - Maybe not so capital

My wife and I are in Juneau, for a wedding, for the weekend.  We are staying at the Westmark Baranof Hotel and decided to eat at the in hotel restaurant, the Capital Cafe.  I am usually a bit wary of in hotel cafe type restaurants.  They are not usually unique fine dining experience, and the Capital Cafe definitely backed up my instincts.  Let's just say, I saw the "Grand Slam Breakfast" as one of the options the menu...not really a good sign.

However, I also saw Eggs Benedict which I love...so I ordered those.  They weren't inedible, but I am pretty sure the hollandaise came from a packet and was not made from scratch.  Not much flavor or richness and it needed salt.  The eggs themselves were actually poached almost perfectly, so the breakfast was not a complete loss.  Add a side of extra greasy hash-browns, and lets just say I was underwhelmed.

The waitstaff was friendly, but the restaurant was loud with silverware and plates being bussed and dumped into bins.  Not really a relaxing environment, which I would have been able to overlook with great food, so....no joy.

Capital Cafe:

Address - 127 N Franklin St, Juneau, AK 99801

Phone - 907-586-2660

Website - www.westmarkhotels.com/juneau-food.php

Reservations - probably not needed, but you could call ahead to see.

Overall Recommendation:  This not the worst hotel restaurant I have been to.  It serves an adequate variety of breakfast foods.  However, if you are looking for a great dining experience, look elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment