Monday, May 9, 2011

The Channel Club - A Sitka Landmark

Every year I get to go and do a "man camp" weekend with a few friends in Sitka.  We spend the weekend fishing, drinking cocktails and beer, and eating lots of camping types of food.  At the end of these trips we usually have some down time in Sitka before heading home.  We usually cap off the trip with a meal at one of Sitka's premier restaurants...The Channel Club.

The Channel Club is a has has modern feel with a beautiful view of Sitka Sound.  The restaurant has a reputation for being a fine dining establishment, and I have known people who have flown from as far as Juneau for a dinner at the Channel Club.  While it is an above average restaurant, I must say I would go mostly for the view.

With a modest wine list, and a small but more than adequate menu, the Channel Club does satisfy.  The steaks are what are always recommended, but after a weekend of eating nothing but red meat, I usually need something a little lighter.  On this trip I had the Ceasar Salad with the asian inspired Black Cod dish.  The salad really hit the spot, especially since the only vegetables I had had for the last few days were pickled beans and olives.  The Black Cod was served with bokchoy and rice, with a savory soy/teriyaki and sesame sauce.  The cod was cooked perfectly and was just what I needed.

For dessert I had the Strawberry New York cheesecake.  I have had better, in fact, I wonder how many days old this particular cheesecake was.  Don't despair on the dessert front though, as I did try the peach cobbler and it was very good.

All in all our group enjoyed the food, wine, and dessert and I look forward to another man camp trip capped off with a visit to the Channel Club.

The Channel Club:

Address - 2906 Halibut Point Road, Sitka, AK

Phone - 907-747-7440

Website - www.sitkachannelclub.com

Reservations:  I recommend calling ahead and making reservations.  I have been to the Channel Club twice, and the first time it was very full.  If you are visiting Sitka, and would like to be picked up, the Channel Club has it's own shuttle...give them a call.

Overall Recommendation:  The food and service are good.  I don't think you will be disappointed with anything on the menu.  With that said, it seems that the view, in combination with the food, is what really sells this place.  The views of Sitka Sound are great...and the food is pretty good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment