Saturday, October 1, 2011

Gwennie's Old Alaska Restaurant

I have been eating at Gwennie's Old Alaska Restaurant since I was a teenager.  My high school team used to go to Gwennie's for breakfast every year whenever our team was in Anchorage.  When I began coaching I would bring my swimmers back for the same breakfasts, but since I moved to Anchorage, over 12 years ago, I have only been to Gwennie's a couple of times.  I went back recently for an evening breakfast.

I went on a Friday evening, around 7p, and there was plenty of seating available.  I was in the mood for dinner, but as soon as I saw the eggs Benedict, with crab meat instead of ham, I knew I was going for the breakfast.  I had a big appetite brewing, so I added the 1/2 order fo biscuits and gravy.

The flavors of the crab eggs benedict were good, but the textures were a bit off.  The english muffins had no crisp to them at all.  In fact, they had the texture of having been soaked in water before being put in the dish.  Combined with the natural texture of the crab and egg....it was a bad combination.  Texture matters.

The biscuits and gravy, however, were quite good.  There was just the right amount sausage and pepper in the gravy.  The biscuits had good texture, and although I could taste that they were a little heavy on the baking powder, they were better than most....and they went great with the Hefeweizen that I was drinking :)

All told, the food is not great, but there are bits of memorabilia and Alaskana all around the restaurant.  I must confess, I think the place is pretty cool.  It might be worth your try.


Gwennie's Old Alaska Restaurant:

Address - 4333 Spenard Road, Anchorage

Phone - 907.243.2090

Website - www.gwenniesrestaurant.com

Reservations - If you are going with a large group, you will want to call ahead.

Overall Recommendation - Going to Gwennie's is more of an overall experience than a dining experience.  If you are looking for great food, there are better choices in Anchorage.  If you are looking for a filling meal with plenty of Alaskana and history surrounding you, this is your place.

No comments:

Post a Comment