Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Judy's Cafe - Cash Only, Rude Servers

When you listen to people from the Hillside area of Anchorage they rave about Judy's Cafe.  Judy's serves breakfast and lunch and is only open until 3p on weekdays and Saturdays.  It is open until 2p on Sundays.

Judy's is different than most restaurant, or most places of business for that matter, in that it only accepts cash.  While there is an ATM on the premises, it is very inconvenient not to be able to pay by debit or credit card...or even check.

The food is fairly good homestyle cooking, and it is one of the better diner style restaurants in Anchorage.  Having said that there is a big drawback...which I will get to later.

On my most recent, and final visit, I had a bacon and mushroom omelette and a 1/2 order of biscuits and  gravy.  The omelette was good, but the biscuits and gravy were sub par.  The gravy did not stand out.  It was drab and needed plenty of Tabasco to make it tasty.  The biscuit itself was just plain.

My biggest gripe with Judy's is the service.  I am used to being greeted warmly and serve in a courteous and pleasant manner when in any restaurant.  I would like to say that I have only ever experienced bad service once, but I have been to Judy's three times, and have never felt like my business was appreciated. Judy's Cafe needs to work on their staffing in a big way.

I am amazed that so many people rave about Judy's Cafe given that the service is so poor.  Have we all just gotten used to bad service and rude waitstaff.  I hope not.  Judy's stands out, but for the wrong reasons.


Judy's Cafe:

Address - 11620 Old Seward Hwy

Phone - 907.349.5500

Website - on facebook

Reservations - None.  It can get very busy on Saturday and Sunday mornings.  Get there early, or be prepared to wait, or go somewhere else.

Overall Recommendation - The food is good, but the inflexibility of payment and the often rude waitstaff make it easy to pass this hot spot by.

No comments:

Post a Comment