Monday, October 3, 2011

La Mex - Home of the Grande

La Mex is one of the better known Mexican restaurants in the Anchorage area.  They are famous for their  margaritas, which are good, but I am more into food, hence the blog.  With that said, La Mex has a full bar and is not too bad.


We started simple enough with the spinach quesadilla appetizer.  It was pretty good, but when combined with the hot salsa that came with the complementary chips, it was excellent.  The spinach quesadilla is a spinach tortilla with cheese and spinach filling.  Simple, but tasty.


For dinner my wife had the Seafood Chimi.  A chimi filled with shrimp, crab, lobster and white fish sautéed with tomatoes and onions and spices. Finished with fresh sliced avocado.  She was please, and it looked and smelled good.


I had the La Mex Burrito Deluxe.  It is served topped with a cheese sauce, shredded lettuce and house dressing.  The cheese sauce and dressing did not do much for me, so I asked for more hot salsa and topped it with that.  I guess I would say the burrito was fine, but the salsa was very good.


I don't mind sauces and salsas on dishes, but when I have to do it to rescue the dish, that does not say much for the dish in the first place.  The cheese sauce that came on the burrito was drab, though the rest of the burrito was fine.  The obligatory rice and refried beans completed the dish, and they were also fine.


A mixed meal to say the least.  I think I will stick with other Mexican restaurants from now on.




La Mex:


Address & Phone - 2550 Spenard Road, 907.274.7511
                              8330 King Street, 907.344.6399


Website - homeofthegrande.com


Reservations - Very large dining rooms in both locations.  You are probably safe not making reservations, but on Friday and Saturday night...it might be a good idea.


Overall Recommendation - La Mex is a good Mexican restaurant, not the best Anchorage has to offer, but good.  If it is nearby, and you have a hankering, stop in.

No comments:

Post a Comment