Sunday, January 1, 2012

Marx Bros Cafe - Elegant Evening Dining

My wife and I like to go out for dinner on the eve of New Year's eve.  In doing so, we avoid the insanity of finding reservations at a nice restaurant.  This year we went to the Marx Bros. Cafe in downtown Anchorage.

The 46 seat restaurant was built by the Alaska Railroad in 1916 and is an original town site house.  It is quiet, simple, and elegant.  There is no better place to take a date in Anchorage, and maybe the world.  They have a simple and amazing menu, and a wine list to match.

My wife and I started with the King Crab and Crawfish Cake.  It is unlike the typical breaded and fried cake in that it mostly crab and crawfish with micro-greens on top and an herb hollandaise.  The crab and crawfish are forward on the palet with a bright, clean citrus finish.  I paired the appetizer with a glass of the Dog Point Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough, New Zealand).

A "must have" at Marx Bros. is the Caesar Salad, which is prepared table side by Van Hale (General Manager and partner).  The garlic, anchovies, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and egg are expertly blended by Van, and then tossed with the cheese and croutons into the lettuce.  It is fresh and alive with flavor.  It is mouth-gasmic.  Salad is typically the part of my meal that I can do without.  At Marx Bros. I could have Van's Caesar and leave happy.  If you have nothing else, have the Caesar Salad!  It went well with the Melville Chardonay (Santa Rita Hills, CA).

For the main course, I had the Filet Mignon and my wife had the Pan Seared Duck Breast.  There is not much better eating than the pan seared duck.  I have had it before, but I was happy when my wife offered a couple of bites of her's.  It was tender, moist, and succulent.  My filet was served at a perfect medium rare, and perfectly cooked.  Marx Bros. is one of the only places I will order a steak.  I have been spoiled by my father's grilling (and I have learned well from him).  The cooks at Marx Bros. have respect for meat, and it shows.  I went with the Siduri Pinot Noir (Sonoma Valley, CA) for my main course pairing.

For dessert we shared Tiramisu.  You have not had a proper Tiramisu unless you have had it at Marx Bros.  The lady fingers are soaked in rum and coffee and layered with zabaglione and mascarpone.  It is a delicate treat that goes perfectly with a glass of port or madeira.  I paired it with the 10 Blandy's, Malmsey.

There are Caesar Salad and Food and Wine classes hosted by Van regularly.  My wife and I are looking forward to taking his Caesar Salad Class sometime this winter.  I can't wait to give it a try myself.  Hmmm, Marx Bros. Caesar Salad any time I want.  Pure bliss.


Marx Bros. Cafe:

Address - 627 W 3rd, Anchorage, AK 99501

Phone - 907.278.2133

Website - marxcafe.com

Reservations - Strongly recommended.  I used my iPhone Open Table app.

Overall Recommendation - The Marx Bros. Cafe is the gold standard for fine dining in Anchorage....and maybe all of Alaska.  I have had no better dining experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment