Thursday, September 1, 2011

Kriner's Diner

I have said it before, but it should be repeated:  When visiting a restaurant for the first time, always ask the staff what the specialty of the house is.  When I went to Kriner's Diner, for the first time last week, I did just that.

I am not usually a fan of chicken fried steak, but that was what the waitress recommended, so I thought I would give it a shot.  Served with two eggs (I prefer mine over easy), hash browns, and a huge chicken fried steak, I have to say the meal was enormous.  The steak was smothered in a very good sausage gravy, and I don't give out gravy compliments easily.  The breakfast was very good, but I did have one complaint...it was too much for me to finish.

The restaurant itself is clean and new looking, and the menus are newspaper style, with a combination of meal choices, trivia, and history about the owners.  In fact, I learned the owner is the son of Sal, as in Sal's Klondike Diner in Soldotna (also pretty good in my opinion).  The owners convey a politically conservative viewpoint, which I appreciate, but it is not an awkwardly large theme in the menu or restaurant.

One of the items on the menu is the Family Burger.  This behemoth is two pound of beef, 8 slices of cheese, and all the fixings with a one pound side of fries.  If you can eat it, by yourself, in 45 minutes or less, it is free.  You also get a t-shirt and your photo up on the wall of fame.  There are several before and after photos of those who have tried and failed.  No photos on the wall of fame yet.  I recommend making it a meal for 4, but I have not tried it yet.  I doubt I could finish it if I couldn't even finish on of the "small" breakfast dishes.

Go hungry is all I have to say!

Kriner's Diner:

Address - 2409 C St, Anchorage

Phone - 907.929.8257

Website - on Facebook

Reservations - Walk ins only.  It can be very busy in the mornings on weekends.  Be prepared to wait for a table or get there early.

Overall Recommendation:  I have only been there for breakfast, and I give it a high marks.  Check it out soon.

2 comments:

  1. The people who own this restaurant are racist against African american people, and not the kind of racist where you show it the kind where you only say stuff behind closed doors. If you wanna give buisness to people like that keep going there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a pretty serious accusation to call anyone racist. I definitely did not witness any racism, but if I do return, I will be on the alert. That said, it is hard to take a comment seriously when you hide behind vagaries and innuendo. If you have first hand knowledge of racism, then come out and say it, otherwise, there is not much weight behind your allegations.

    ReplyDelete