Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Sack's Cafe & Restaurant

Sack's is a shining star on the Anchorage fine dining scene.  With fresh local produce and seafood Sack's is a standout with a necessarily changing menu and creative choices.

This weekend my wife and I enjoyed date night by starting with the olive sampler and the Alaska Crab & Scallop cakes.  We also treated ourselves to the Joseph Drouhin Cote De Beaune 2008 Pinot Noir.  What a stunning way to start a meal.  The olives played off the sweet and savory crab/scallop cakes and the bright Pinot Noir.  The olives are served warm which brings out the flavor in each savory bight.  The crab/scallop cakes are served with an incredibly light honey chipotle aioli.  I made sure to alternate between the Pinot, olives, and cakes.  My palate was positively dancing.

I chose the Chicken and Alaska Sea Scallop for my main course.  The chicken medallions are lightly breaded, and the scallops gently seared.  They are served on a bed of udon noodles along with snow peas, mushrooms and black bean salsa.  The star of the meal, however, is the ginger cream sauce.  It continued the symphony that the appetizers began.  So light, tangy, and creamy it actually made me want to slow down and savor the experience.  I think I paired the wine perfectly for this main course.

My wife loved her Mariscada.  I tried a bite, and the flavor was amazing.  Fresh sockeye, tiger prawns, and clams in a coconut tomato broth.  Sweet yellow corn, butternut squash, rice, basil and lime round out the dish.  The broth is outstanding.  The Sack's saucier is a genius.

After the main course we both decided to have some desert.  I had a decadent spiced apple cake and my wife had the beautiful Russian creme with pineapple and strawberries.  Both were wonderful and balanced out our meals perfectly.

I honestly don't know if you can go wrong at Sack's.


Sack's Cafe & Restaurant:

Address - 328 G Street

Phone - 907.276.3546 or 907.274.4022

Website - www.sackscafe.com

Reservations - I use my OpenTable app on my iPhone.  I would recommend making reservations, so call ahead or use your smartphone.

Overall Recommendation - The freshest ingredients and a creative flair make Sack's one of the top restaurants in Anchorage.  Don't pass up the opportunity to have a great meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment