Wednesday, July 6, 2011

City Diner - A Spenard Classic

I was out running errands this morning and needed to to some shopping at REI.  Dang!  They didn't open until 10a...but wait, I have been meaning to try out that shiny City Diner near by.  Not being one to pass up an opportunity I decided to stop by for a late breakfast.

The inside of City Diner is gleaming with that old classic diner style.  The wait staff is wearing bright white smocks and bright white smiles.  It definitely made me think about the way diners look in those old movies.  A person could walk up to a stool and eat at the counter or take a booth...I took the booth.

The menu is chock full of choices, but the meatloaf and eggs jumped out at me for some reason.  Twelve ounces of meatloaf served with a brown mushroom gravy, two eggs (I like mine over easy), and some cheddar grits...mmmmm!  Comfort breakfast food.

The meatloaf was great!  Moist and savory, it was complimented by the gravy perfectly.  The cheddar grits take me back to my youth when my dad would make up grits every morning.  Oh yeah, and the eggs were good too.

I have to say, that one of the highlights of the meal was the beverage service.  I am one of those guys who drinks Diet Coke for breakfast (I know, I am a freak).  I ordered my DC and got a half pitcher and a glass of ice.  Very classy!...at least for a DC drinker.

The place has all of the character you look for in a classically styled diner...and good food to boot.  Definitely glad I had some time to kill

City Diner:

Address - 3000 Minnesota Drive, Spenard (Anchorage), AK

Phone - 277-CITY (for orders to go)

website - www.citydiner.org

Reservations - none needed

Overall Recommendation:   Go for it.  It is a gem!

No comments:

Post a Comment