Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Southside Bistro - Great Date Night Dining

I lived in Anchorage for nearly 10 years before I every ate a the Southside Bistro.  People would always tell me I should go, and I would forget to go.  I would always think of the fine dining restaurants in downtown Anchorage.  Somehow I could not get my mind to remember that there is very nice dining available south of Anchorage's Mid-town.

I have 10 years of catching up to do, because Southside Bistro is very good.  They serve lunch and dinner Tuesday - Saturday.  They are closed on Sundays and Mondays.  I have only been there for dinner.  I have been twice now, for Friday night/Date night.  I have been happy both times.  Most recently I was treated to dinner when I was given a gift card for Christmas.  Those folks are now on my "Nice" list! 

I started with the Butterleaf salad.  A wonderful salad with tender butterleaf arranged on the plate with a champaigne vinaigrette, candied pecans, grated blue cheese, and chopped grapes.  The candied pecans are the star of this salad!  They bring out the subtle flavor of the leaves, and pair perfectly with the vinaigrette.  It also went well with the Pinot Grigiot that I let the waiter pick out for me.

For my entree' I had a special of elk medallions.  They were served with asparagus spears and delicious mashed potatoes.  The elk had a savory brown sauce over it and was served medium rare.  The richness of the sauce matched the lean elk just right.  It was wonderful.

For dessert, my wife and I shared the peach and raspberry cobbler.  Served warm with brown pecan crust and vanilla ice cream, this dessert was the perfect ending to a memorable dinner.

Southside Bistro:

Address -

Phone - 907.348.0088

Website - southsidebistro.com

Reservations - Highly recommended.  I use my Open Table app on my iPhone.

Overall Recommendation - This is great place with a very good waitstaff, nice wine list, and very good food.  It isn't super intimate, but it is a nice place to go for date night.  Make a reservation, as I have never seen this place when it is not packed.

1 comment:

  1. Delighted that I found your site, fantastic info. I will bookmark and try to visit more frequently.

    Event Center

    ReplyDelete