Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Sea Bean Cafe - Sunshiny Happiness in Seward

When I found out that one of my coaching colleagues owned a cafe in Seward, Alaska, I was intrigued.  When he showed up at the last swim meet with a copy of his menu, I was sold.  I let Coach Matt Hershock know I would be in for a visit to his Sea Bean Cafe...and soon.  I was looking to spend some quality time with my wife, this seemed like it would be perfect for a day trip.

The item on the menu that attracted me to visit the Sea Bean was the Sunshine Sandwich of Happiness.  This delight is a panini ham, Tillamook cheddar, and macaroni and cheese.  If reading that doesn't put a smile on your face, then you have no culinary soul.  The panini would be good with just the ham and cheese, but with the macaroni and cheese, you elevate it to one of the best comfort foods I have had the pleasure to eat.  My wife and I both loved it!

I also tried the BLT.  Actually I had a BBLT (a little extra bacon!).  This panini featured my double bacon (a special request), lettuce, tomato, as well as Tillamook cheddar, avocado, and red onion.  This panini was a perfect compliment to the soup of the day, which may have been the star of my lunch.  The soup de jour was a Chicken Enchilada Baja, and it was great!  Creamy, savory, spicy....just right!  Perfect for dipping.

Today we visited for lunch, but we might go for breakfast next time.  Sea Bean has a great looking selection of coffee drinks and a nice selection of breakfast and bakery items.  There is even a nice little selection of ice cream and desert options.  Unfortunately for my wife and I, we were too stuffed from our lunch to partake of anything more that the Sea Bean had to offer.  I guess we will just have to go back :)


The Sea Bean Cafe:

Address - 225 4th Ave, Seward, Alaska

Phone - 907.224.6623

Website - seabeancafe.com

email - seabeancafe@gmail.com

Overall Recommendation:  The Sea Bean has a relaxing and inviting vibe.  It's motto is "Sit. Sip. Surf.", and I think it is perfect.  If you are looking for a laid back space with all of the best that a modern day coffee house has to offer, this is the spot.  Great for the locals for sure, but it is even great for a day trip from Anchorage.  The next time you are in Seward, go in, enjoy, and relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment