Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Nino's Italian Eatery - The best ziti this side of New York


I was recently talking with a New York native, and she was raving about the baked ziti at Nino's.  She claimed that Nino's baked ziti was better than any she had tasted back east.  I was intrigued, and it wasn't long before I found myself seated in the Nino's dining room.

I had heard about the Garlic Knots and how great they were.  I was a bit disappointed, as I was hoping for a bit more garlic flavor from the knots, however the marinara dipping sauce was outstanding!  The sauce was bright and flavorful.  All in all good.

I also tried the sautéed spinach with garlic and oil.  The balance of garlic and spinach flavors was spot on.  I enjoyed the fresh flavor of the spinach cutting through the appetizer.  It would be easy for the garlic to overwhelm the delicate flavor of the spinach.

I love eggplant, so I went with the Baked Ziti with eggplant.  I was served a generous dish of gooey, cheesy, and delicious pasta.  The eggplant had been thinly sliced, breaded, and cooked perfectly.  The pasta was just a touch overcooked, but the cheese and marinara helped overcome that slight error.  I could have easily eaten the entire dish, but I knew if I ate all of the dish, as rich as it was, I would pay later.  I also knew I would enjoy it just as much as a leftover at home...little did I know that my wife would finish it for me :)

I have to say I really enjoyed the contrast in textures between the pasta, cheese, and eggplant.  They came together very well, and I have not had any other pasta dish like it in Anchorage.  I can imagine being served this dish in New York City's Little Italy.

Nino's Italian Eatery:

Address - 831 E 36th, Anchorage, 99503

Phone - 907.336.NINO

Website - ninositalianeatery.com

Reservations - None.  They do cater and you can call in for carry out.

Overall Recommendation:  There are some good Italian restaurants in Anchorage.  Nino's lacks a bit in ambiance, as it reminds me a bit of a cafeteria.  However, I think that Nino's is among the best when it comes to pasta dishes.  Come with an appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment