Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Snow City Cafe - Community Minded with a Dash of Politics

Snow City Cafe has quite a following among a certain cross section of my friends.  These friends are heavy on things like organic food, vegan recipes, locally grown ingredient, etc.  If this sounds like your kind of place, then you need to go...now!

Regardless of your socio-political leanings, Snow City is the downtown spot for breakfast, brunch, and lunch.  Hmmm, I guess I could have just said brunch.  The food is fresh and very good.  I have been twice in the last couple of weeks, once for breakfast, and once for lunch.

For breakfast I had the B.O.B. (aka The Best of Both Benedicts).  It features a blend of their traditional Eggs Benedict and their Eggs Florentine.  Two poached eggs, fresh spinach, Roma tomato slices, English muffin, and Hollandaise comprise the B.O.B.  While I found the Hollandaise to be a little watery and flabby, the rest of the B.O.B. to be perfect.  The spinach and Roma slices bring a freshness to the plate and are quite tasty.

Snow City's Cowboy Meatloaf Sandwich
For lunch I had the very hearty Cowboy Meatloaf sandwich.  Made with hormone and antibiotic free beef, this sandwich is great!  Served on marble rye with bacon, cheddar, Roma tomatos, and crispy onion straws, you just know this sandwich will be delicious, and then bam!  You get the homemade BBQ dipping sauce.  I get a nice zing in the layers of flavor in that sauce...perhaps something fruity?  I have to say, it is a very good sandwich.

The only drawback to Snow City Cafe is that they may alienate some potential clientele, with the open display of politics in the restaurant, and even at your table.  Table cards and posters abound, and there is no question which side of the aisle the owners are on.

Politics aside, this is a good restaurant with an above average menu.

Snow City Cafe:

Address - The corner of W 4th Ave and L Street in downtown Anchorage

Phone - 907.727.2489

Website - www.snowcitycafe.com

Reservations - First come, first serve.

Overall Recommendation - If you are the kind of person who would be unable to enjoy some great food because of the kind of politics espoused in Snow City, then I would not go.  If, on the other hand, you aren't bothered by such things...then don't miss it.

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog. You might be interested in a post I did on my current favorite kitchen utensil - a jar key. http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2012/02/useful-kitchen-gadget-jar-key.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm... That meatloaf sandwich looks good! I've never been to Alaska but the next time I'm there I may have to stop at the Snow City Cafe.

    Clark Dillon | componentplaygrounds.com

    ReplyDelete