Saturday, March 10, 2012

Fire Island Rustic Bakeshop - So good, it brings tears of joy to your eyes

I am literally licking my lips as I write this.  The rich, bright, flavors of my whole wheat focaccia still linger on my lips and palate.  I can't believe I waited this long to make it to the Fire Island Rustic Bakeshop.  To date, it is the highlight of my culinary year.

The focaccia is made with whole wheat flower and seasoned with extra virgin olive oil and salt.  It is this already delicious base, upon which the delectable ingredients wait...to pounce on my taste buds.  My selection had pesto, roasted tomatoes, mushrooms, and cheese.  This offering is full of powerful flavors, yet somehow delicate.  The bread itself is incredibly fresh, moist, and fluffy.  The pesto, when combined with the tomato, sings.  The mushrooms give the meal an almost meaty quality.  I am in love.

So good was the focaccia, that I did not hesitate to dive into the Kalamata olive, artichoke heart, and feta croissant.  It was so light and flaky on the outside, and yet, hidden within are the slightly melted and married flavors of the olives, chokes, and feta.  Amazing!  I feel like I am in the mediterranean...the only thing I am missing is a bottle of chianti.

I also picked up a whole wheat baguette to go with my dinner.  If it is just 1/10th as good as the focaccia and croissant, I will be completely satisfied.  Before today, I had never even heard of a whole wheat baguette.

The only thing that will keep me from going back to Fire Island Rustic Bakeshop is the fact that I want to try to keep my waistline in check.  This bakery is amazing!

Fire Island Rustic Bakery:

Address - 1343 G Street, Anchorage, AK 99501

Phone - 907.569.0001

Email - fireislandbread@gmail.com

Website - www.fireislandbread.com

Reservations - NA

Overall Recommendation - This is absolutely the best bakery in Anchorage.  Fresh, rich, and wholesome. What are you doing still reading this?  Go to Fire Island Rustic Bakery...now!

No comments:

Post a Comment