Saturday, September 3, 2011

Spenard Roadhouse

The Spenard Roadhouse is a big step up from the previous occupants, Hogg Brothers Cafe.  The Spenard Roadhouse has the same ownership as Sacks Cafe and Snow City Cafe.  I was unaware of the relationship between the three restaurants, but I do see some commonalities.  Happily, my recent visit to the newest iteration of the location left me satisfied.

My late Sunday breakfast foursome enjoyed a variety of items off their Weekend Breakfast menu.  One of my friends had a mimosa and a meal called the Hangover Helper, ½ lb. all natural beef patty, fried egg, cheddar, bacon, tomato, onion, kaiser roll, served with a side of tater tots...she was thrilled.  My wife and other friend enjoyed the 2 egg breakfast, with their choice of bacon, ham, or Polish reindeer sausage, potatoes and an english muffin.  


I dug into the Roadhouse's version of eggs Benedict (I promise this will not turn into an eggs Benedict blog).  The Eggs Benny Benson is a traditional eggs Benedict with their own house made, very rich, hollandaise sauce.  I liked the thinly sliced ham as opposed to the usual slab of ham that is used in so many versions of my favorite breakfast.  The highlight is definitely the house made hollandaise.  At first I was taken by surprise...I think that I have gotten used to packet versions of the sauce.  The Spenard Roadhouse sauce is far superior to your typical hollandaise.


The Spenard Roadhouse has a full lunch and dinner menu as well as a children's menu.  I am inclined to think that the Roadhouse may be one of the best restaurants in the Spenard/Midtown area.


Spenard Roadhouse:


Address - 1049 W. Northern Lights Blvd, Anchorage


Phone - 907.770.7623


Website - spenardroadhouse.com


Overall Recommendation:  Definitely worth your while.  It made a very good impression on me.

2 comments:

  1. I had to write a comment to supplement my breakfast post. I just went for appetizers and drinks on Saturday night. They have a wide selection of bourbon and rye whiskeys. In fact, if you sample 20 bourbons (keeping track on a punch card), you get a t-shirt and your name on a plaque.

    Don't pass up the bacon of the month! This month's bacon was a savory teriyaki bacon with a pineapple salsa. Magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been back twice since my last post.

    Earlier this week I went in for dinner and had the Grilled Cheese sandwich with a bowl of Tomato soup. The Havarti and sharp cheddar play perfectly off each other. Try dipping it in the soup, and it opens up to a whole different level. I feel like a kid again. A upscale twist on a classic.

    This morning I went for the weekend breakfast. I tried the biscuits and gravy and ....wow! The biscuits are sliced and then toasted before being smothered in the tastiest gravy ever. The gravy has very subtle hints of onion and garlic, but it is very creamy and definitely the best I have had.

    ReplyDelete