Saturday, August 31, 2013

Little Richard's Family Diner - Timeless North Pole Classic

My latest swim meet road trip was great for three reasons: my swimmers did well, I got to visit my parents, and I got to eat breakfast Little Richard's Family Diner.

Just off the Richardson Highway, in North Pole, is a great little restaurant that harkens back to what I think of as the classic american diner.  Stainless steel and chrome fixtures, a black and white tile floor, table seating, counter seating, period decor, super friendly service, and most of all really good food!  I love this place.

I took a seat at the counter and ordered the Meat Lover's Omelette with hash browns and sourdough toast.  It was fun to watch from the counter as my breakfast was prepared.  The counter is all that separates the kitchen from the dining area, which is great because the cooks are amiable guys and fun to watch as they work smoothly with each other and the wait staff.

The omelette was stuffed (and I mean stuffed) with bacon, ham, reindeer sausage, buffalo sausage, hot links, and cheese.  The hash browns are great, and can be ordered extra crispy.  The portions are so generous, that it would be easy to share a breakfast like this...I could only eat about two thirds of what was served.  

I loved breakfast, but I think that the charm of the restaurant augments the overall experience.  As I mentioned, the decor and service is great, there is something more.  Maybe it is the music that is being piped in (Roger Miller, Glen Campbell, etc).  Maybe it is the small town clientele.  Whatever it is, it just seems like the perfect place to take the family, or just belly up to the counter.  I look forward to going back soon.

Little Richard's Family Diner:

Address - 
2698 Hurst Rd, North PoleAK 99705

Phone - 
907.488.2117


Overall Recommendation:  If you are down with a classic diner and classic diner food, then you have to give Little Richard's a try.  If you are in the greater Fairbanks/North Pole area, then this is well worth the stop.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great! What any diner, or any food service for that matter, should have apart from great food is an efficient service and friendly staff. I'm glad you're happy with this one. I bet you're going to have more favorites from their menu every time you come back.

    Black Bear Diner

    ReplyDelete